Organization Spotlight Tips: Makeup Organization
How often should you replace make up?
Mascara – 3 months
Eyeshadow – 2 years
Foundation – liquid = 6 mos to 1 yr ; powder = 2 years
Lip Stick – 6 months
Eye Liner – 1 year
How often should the brushes be cleaned?
Once a week to once a month — the opinion appears to be split on this one. However, always keep in mind that the better care you take of your tools, the longer they will last.
How often should makeup brushes be replaced?
If they are well cared for, makeup brushes can last years.
You know you need to replace them when:
They begin to shed their bristles, have cracked handles, are permanently misshapen, are permanently dirty, bristles are brittle or easily breaking off.
What’s the best way to wash makeup brushes?
- Fill a bowl with warm water and a squirt or two of shampoo.
- Swish the bristle part of the brush gently in the water.
- Rinse under warm water.
- Swish in the soapy water.
- Rinse again under warm water.
- Gently pat with a towel.
- Rinse again under warm water until the water runs clear of the soap.
- Gently pat bristle with towel, making sure to smooth bristles the correct direction.
- Lay flat on a towel overnight to dry.
What is the best way to pack makeup when you travel?
- Pad the compacts: Put a makeup pad in each compact (blush, eye shadow, foundation) to cushion it and absorb shock. Also, wrap makeup in clothes to provide extra cushion.
- Use Ziploc bags: Put each type of makeup in a snack size or small Ziploc bag, to contain the mess if anything does break.
- Get a good makeup bag: Recommendation 1: A variety of sizes of zipper makeup bags and put the Ziploc bags in each zipper bag, and put those into a larger zipper makeup bag. Recommendation 2: A makeup bag with individual compartments to store the individual Ziploc bags.
- Keep it simple: i.e. Use just lipstick/lip gloss, instead of lip liner and lipstick.
- Use multi use products: Colors that match the majority of outfits, instead of many different colors.
What is the best place to store your makeup?
It seems to be a consensus the best place to store makeup, so that it last longer, is a cool dry place. The reason for this is that warm, wet areas foster mold and bacteria growth; two things one does not want in the makeup. This fact makes the bathroom the worst place to store makeup.
10 Makeup Storage Ideas:
- Lazy Susan
2. Counter Top organizers of many styles.
3. Glass Jars of varying sizes or small vases (especially for brushes, lipsticks, eyeliners, mascaras etc.)
4. Any style cake stand
5. Magnetic boards
6. Drawer Organizers (Silverware trays or individual organizers in a varying sizes)
7. Over the door jewelry or shoe holder. You can also use half of a shoe holder and hang it inside a cabinet door
9. File Organizers or Mail Organizers can be used for larger pallets or makeup.
10. Corner shelf unit or other other shelf unit