DONATION LOCATIONS AND IDEAS
By Jennifer Barnes
It is a lot easier to let go of things, when you know the items will be appreciated and used for good.
General Donations: Clothing, Toys, and Books (There are many more in the book section below)
- http://www.donationtown.org/ You can go through this site to hook your donations with a local charity.
- Hospitals or Doctor’s Offices (Stuffed Animals and toys especially)
- Police or Fire Departments (Stuffed animals)
- Lake County Haven: A Haven for Homeless Women and Children http://lakecountyhaven.org
- Home of the Sparrow
- Little City
- Children’s Homes
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Military Families (Contact the Naval Base)
- Cancer Federation
- Shoes — http://www.soles4souls.org/about/history.html
- Stuffed Animals — http://www.lovinghugs.org/
- Alex’s Lego Locker and Alex Lancaster Memorial Scholarship (I can get the contact information for you if you are interested — they are just now making it a formal “not for profit” and getting formal info together.
- Books for Soldiers — http://booksforsoldiers.com/donate_to_the_soldiers/ or http://www.operationpaperback.org/
- Books for Africa — http://www.booksforafrica.org/books-computers/donate-books.html
- Books for Prisoners — http://booksthroughbars.org/donate/books/ or http://www.bookstoprisoners.net/
- Books are sold to support Public Library — http://www.ala.org/united/about/donatebooks
- Children’s Hospitals
- Local Day Care Centers or Schools
- Friend’s of the Library at your local library
- Los Angeles based, but books can be shipped. http://www.bookends.org/how-to-donate-books
- San Francisco based, but books can be shipped. http://www.childrensbookproject.org/contribute
- Homeless Shelters.
- Chicago area based. http://berniesbookbank.org/donate-books/
Home Goods: (i.e. cabinets, doors, furniture, trim and molding, fans, lighting etc.)