DONATION LOCATIONS AND IDEAS
By Jennifer Barnes
It is a lot easier to let go of things, when you know the items will be appreciated and used for good.
Here is a resource listing organizations, by state, that work to combat homelessness and child bed poverty.
Check it out! Look for organizations near you and ask them what they can use and how you can help!
General Donations: Clothing, Toys, and Books (There are many more in the book section below)
- http://www.donationtown.org/ You can go through this site to hook your donations with a local charity.
- Hospitals or Doctor’s Offices (Stuffed Animals and toys especially)
- Police or Fire Departments (Stuffed animals)
- Lake County Haven: A Haven for Homeless Women and Children http://lakecountyhaven.org
- Home of the Sparrow
- Little City
- Children’s Homes
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Military Families (Contact the Naval Base)
- Cancer Federation
- Shoes — http://www.soles4souls.org/about/history.html
- Stuffed Animals — http://www.lovinghugs.org/
- Alex’s Lego Locker and Alex Lancaster Memorial Scholarship (I can get the contact information for you if you are interested — they are just now making it a formal “not for profit” and getting formal info together.
- Books for Soldiers — http://booksforsoldiers.com/donate_to_the_soldiers/ or http://www.operationpaperback.org/
- Books for Africa — http://www.booksforafrica.org/books-computers/donate-books.html
- Books for Prisoners — http://booksthroughbars.org/donate/books/ or http://www.bookstoprisoners.net/
- Books are sold to support Public Library — http://www.ala.org/united/about/donatebooks
- Children’s Hospitals
- Local Day Care Centers or Schools
- Friend’s of the Library at your local library
- Los Angeles based, but books can be shipped. http://www.bookends.org/how-to-donate-books
- San Francisco based, but books can be shipped. http://www.childrensbookproject.org/contribute
- Homeless Shelters.
- Chicago area based. http://berniesbookbank.org/donate-books/
Home Goods: (i.e. cabinets, doors, furniture, trim and molding, fans, lighting, mattresses etc.)